Tuesday, October 09, 2007

CTF at One

A year ago today I started writing this blog. I had learned about blogging from my friend Belinda who has had a blog for much longer. I visited her blog, Whatever He Says, and thought to myself, "I think I can do this." So I called up Blogger and set up CTF. Living deep in the country where computers connect to the web through dial-up, I know blogging was going to be a challenge of patience as much as it was a challenge to write every day.

When I begun, I decided that I'd write for a year and then at the end of the years, say "Good bye all" and hit the 'erase blog' button. I've considered this right up to this morning. I went to the page for erasing the blog even before I wrote this. But, I simply couldn't do it.

So what next? I don't know, I know I need to make some changes. But since I'm not doing what I intended to do, I need a week or two to think. So, I'll get back to you on CTF's future.

Until then, I thought I'd celebrate the year by telling you that I've found CTF readers an intersting lot. I learned that I can never tell when a post will be well recieved, oft commented on or completely ignored. Occasionally, I'll write a blog and think, I really like this one ... and it falls dead on the blog with no impact or notice. Then I'll whip one off and think, 'They'll know I took no time with this' and wham 15 to 20 comments.

Answers to questions I've been asked about the blog:

What's your favourite blog?

An early one, Poco Hor

How do you find something to write about each day?

Everyday is different, if nothing happens to write about, I'm reminded of something to write about from my past ... (which is a country littered with things to write about).

How do you deal with the negative comments?

I'm old enough to appreciate when someone says they don't like something. I find it more difficult when the negative comment is about 'me' ... when people don't know me. But then there are comments that are helpful ... Elizabeth's comment about my blogs begining 'depressingly uplifting' (or something like that) I understood. She's a writer, I value her comments and I know what she means, and in fact, next year I do want to pick at scabs a bit more. My personality is relentlessly optimistic, though, the 'there must be a pony' kind of guy.

Why did you decide to focus just on disability on this blog, will you be making it into a more general blog as you go along?

No. CTF is a disability blog first and foremost. Remember, I'd only been disabled for a year when I started, the blog was for ME TOO. I wanted to think about who I was now, how I was changed, things I do differently. I wanted to fully identify, in writing, with myself and my new community. Remember, I'm not a new writer, I've got over 30 books that are still in print. Not one of them written by the 'disabled' me. So the other voice is out there, this blog was to help me find that new voice. I find it difficult, even here in the blog I write as either 'helper Dave' or 'disabled Dave' ... one reader commented recently that she was seeing a shift from 'social work' to life with a disability in my blog. I was very happy. This is a new writing voice for me, I need to get hold of it before I write my next book.

Do you think you'll end up deciding to shut the blog down?

No. But I need a few days to think about what CTF will look like next year. I'll still write every day. I have promised myself time this week to think about where I'm going with the blog next.

There you have it, Chewing the Fat, the birthday interview.

Blow out a candle for me today!

43 comments:

wendy said...

Dave,
Happy Birthday to CTF! I just have to say how happy I am that you have decided to continue the blog. Clearly this is your own choice and you write it for your own reasons. As a fairly recent finder of this little slice of Dave's daily life, though, I have to say that I would miss it terribly if you were to shut it down. It's not just that you "uplift" or "inspire". You challenge and remind and make me laugh and, often cry all before I finish my first cup of tea. So, whatever form it takes, I'll still be dropping by!

Belinda said...

I'm sitting in a library in Alvechurch, West Midlands, U.K. with a heartbeat that is recovering from the shock of knowing that your finger actually hovered near to the "delete this blog" button!

I am smiling at being able to visit and wish you a happy blog birthday!! Yeay for you, you technofile! You overcame the computer collywobbles to do this--and what we would have missed if you hadn't.

I can't wait to see what the next year holds and I'm very grateful that there is a next year!

Okay--I'm off for a tea p.r.n.

Anonymous said...

Dave,

I really enjoy your blog, and though I don't often leave a comment, reading CTF is a part of my morning routine. You give me insight and food for thought pretty much every day...no pressure though!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy your blog and I'm thrilled you decided not to erase it.

Mom to disabled boy.

Kei said...

Happy Blogiversary Dave.
CTF is a daily stop for me (unless it's the rare day when I do not turn my computer on), sometimes cry, often smile and laugh, but always make me think.

Thank you for not hitting the erase button.

Penny L. Richards said...

Happy Blogiversary, Dave--and many more to come , I hope! CTF is the rare mix of readable and challenging, friendly and uncompromising, intimate observations and big-picture implications.

Bev said...

Whew, that was close! Thanks for not erasing this awesome blog, and enjoy your time off from CTF. You've more than earned it.

Anonymous said...

I, too, start my morning with you. Thanks for making the time to challenge and inspire.

theknapper said...

Take whatever time you need.....we'll all be waiting...... Thank you for all that you do.

All 4 My Gals said...

Happy Birthday CTF! I'll have a glass of wine in celebration tonight for you. :) I wish I would have found you a year ago. You are one of those people whom you think you "really" know just by reading their written word. I know many of us would miss our friend Dave if you deleted CTF!

In fact there are going to be 20 families together this weekend in Indy. All of us met online over the past several years. Some of the women I have been talking to for over 6 years but have never met face to face. It's like Christmas for me!

When we are together, YOU have come up the past few times. You're starting to be a part of our group, and you didn't even know it!

HUGS and please keep writing. So many people NEED you.

Nicole

All 4 My Gals said...

Dave, I also wanted to talk to you about something that happened with Tarenne's class today. Could you email me if you have time? I just wanted your advice.

Thanks much,
Nicole nicjoe@roadrunner.com

Anonymous said...

Yay!! I am so glad you will keep writing this blog. It's something I read every day, whether I comment or not. It's like a vitamin for my soul.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

I just want to express to you how happy I am that you've chosen to continue blogging. Your writing has been helpful to me in the true sense of the word. You are the only human services person I know that sees things from a creative, sensible, human point of view, and it is so important that those of us who try to do right have a point of common reference for this kind of thing outside our own heads. I am really greatful for you writing. Thanks.

Lola said...

Dave,

Happy Birthday Chewing The Fat!

Phew, I am so delighted that you are not closing this blog. I have been reading your Chewing the Fat for most of the year. I have found it amazing.
Here are some of the reasons why:

When I feel-

1.Exasperated - in your words I have found hope

2. Disillusioned - in your words I have found inspiration

3.Uncertain - In your words I have found clarity and affirmation

4.Full of myself - your words have challenged me

5. Sad - your words have lifted me

6. Confused - your words have enabled me to work it out for myself and with others

7. Comfortable - your words have reminded me of the journey still to travel

8. Despair - your words have helped give me faith

9. Insecure - your words have helped me challenge myself and find strength

10. Outraged - your words have encouraged action

There you are 10 good reasons why I hope you will continue to share so openly.

Most importantly I believe your stories, thoughts and reflections have played their part in encouraging me to continue to grow and learn and do what I can to make a difference. And to believe that I can make more of a difference that I believed I could a year ago!


Thanks Dave. God Bless you.

Lola said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

How about having a go on FACEBOOK?....... Now that would be fun!

Happy anniversary CTF!

Anonymous said...

My favourite post was in Feb the title was THAT WORD, (anyone who reads this anonymous post who knows me will be able to identify me by this).

It really stuck with me, I read it everyday as it is on my notice board. I use it in my work all the time. It does not give an instruction about how to support people well, but gives a challenge that you can't ignore, to keep in check exactly where you're coming from!

This is the part, I love best:

My job is to help people discover the power they've had all along, and then help them learn to use it. Power come from taking breath.

We do not give people with disability a voice. They've always had it. Choosing to listen is a choice that the powerful make. But the voice is not our gift, God did that.

We do not give people with disabilities rights. They've always had them. Choosing to respect those rights is a choice that the powerful make. But rights are not our gift, citizenship did that.

We do not give people with disabilities power. They've always had it. Choosing to allow power to be used is a choice that the powerful make. But power is not our gift, life did that.

ultratired said...

I've been lurking in the background reading your blog daily for quite some time,never posting. I'm so glad to hear that you will continue blogging! As a support staff with nearly 30 years experience working residentially, it is so important that "old dogs" like me continue to be inspired to provide the kind of supports you discribed recently in your blog about the walking stick..."staff". The changes in service since I began providing support is incredible! Insights, thoughts,and the examination of what I do and how I do it are much needed to keep me fresh and enthusiastic each day.
Thank you on behalf of "old dogs" everywhere!!

Myrrien said...

I'm so glad you have decided to stay with the blog Dave. In the few months I have read it I have been challenged, inspired and determined to try harder and do better at what I do.

Thank you!

Unknown said...

I'm one of the women Nicole talks about in her comments and I say Ditto!! I would be lost without stopping by here and reading. You have a fan base.....

but don't let us pressure you or anything... :-)

Jan Steck Huffman said...

We share a birthday (CTF) and an anniversary (Mine and Big Dawg's) date.

Thank you for being there, and here.

Anonymous said...

Never assume that what you write "falls dead on the blog with no impact or notice". There are those of us, a lot of us I think, that read you blogs daily, with rapt attention and interest, however are left gun shy on commenting. Your words, thoughts, past memories, life situations and expression in this blog are one of my faviorite moments each day. If nothing else, Dave, you make people think, ponder, wonder and examine. Congratulations on making it one year. I hope there are many more to come.

Unknown said...

Many happy returns Dave & CTF. I too was much concerned by the first few lines of this blog and thought, "oh no, you can't"! I think, like many others, CTF has become a truly enriching part of my daily routine and constantly makes me smile, cry, be uplifted and challenged. I am delighted that it will continue in whatever format you choose.

many happy returns
Stephen

Anonymous said...

Dave, Thanks a million for keeping your promise and writing for the last year! I found your blog a few months ago and have enjoyed reading your posts.
As a relatively new parent to the world of disability you have given me much 'food' for thought!
Happy 1st Birthday CTF!

elmindreda said...

Very happy that you're keeping it, and somewhat horrified by the thought of all this information and insight being deleted.

Anonymous said...

I'll add my voice to the chorus: I'm happy you're staying on for awhile. As a new reader I find something here that I find nowhere else... My best friend has a blog and I don't read that everyday! But I read CTF! You will always make an impact on others, even if they are silent in reflection. Thank you for your words.

BenefitScroungingScum said...

Happy Birthday CTF!
Dave, I'm so glad you saw my comments as the compliment I intended them to be. I hope you'll continue, we the disabled have too few powerful voices to lose the experience and power that comes with your emerging one. Bendy Girl

Anonymous said...

I am hoping that you keep writing each day. Your blog and your adventures have become a part of my daily routine.
Yours,
Rosemary

Katja said...

Happy Blogiversary, and thank you for not hitting delete!

Nancy I. said...

Dave, HAppy Anniversary! I don't get here daily, but when I read I like to read a bunch of posts at a time. I would miss you so much if you stopped (no pressure!). Thank you so much for your blog!

cripchick said...

dave, congratulations! here is to another year full of growth, exploration and writing.

(you already know i love your blog).

Anonymous said...

U6p742 Your blog is great. Articles is interesting!

Anonymous said...

QW52RX Wonderful blog.

Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

Anonymous said...

Hello all!

Anonymous said...

Magnific!

Anonymous said...

Nice Article.

Anonymous said...

Nice Article.

Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

Anonymous said...

Hello all!

Anonymous said...

Nice Article.

Anonymous said...

OyGibI Good job!

Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!