Tuesday, October 23, 2007

HBTJ

Right now Joe is watching the television programme, "Two and a Half Men" and laughing himself silly. Joe laughs at everything. All of our friends say that Joe makes them feel funny because even the lamest joke gets him going. And it's real. After travelling with me and listening to me lecture for several years, he still sits in the back of the room at the book table laughing at stories he's heard a thousand times.

He's a really good audience.

We've just driven for over six hours to get to the hotel. I still have my driver's licence but I very seldom drive anymore. OK. I don't drive anymore. So while I map the trip and get us where we are going, Joe's got to be the one to get us there. I'd like to spell him off every now and then but we both know that the travel is really up to him now.

He's a really good driver.

Right now I'm in my wheelchair typing this blog. Since I've become disabled, Joe has had to haul the chair in and out of the car and get me from place to place. He does this without any complaint and doesn't make me feel bad about the extra work. Over the years we've supported each other to greater and lesser degrees - right now, he's got the lion's share of the physical work.

He's a really good sport.

Part of me worried when I became disabled that the nature of our relationship would fundamentally shift and that Joe's new role in assisting me would do some damage to the rest of our relationship. I, thankfully, worried needlessly. So, you are wondering why is this post strictly about Joe?

He's a year older today.

Happy Birthday Joe.

15 comments:

wendy said...

Happy Birthday to Joe!
You are a great guy...for instance, I don't think that I know of anyone else who'd risk detention by mall security in order to test a young mans skills at repelling predators! (Except Dave, of course!) Here's to another year of laughter and loving!

Unknown said...

Your "tribute to Joe" is a thousand times better, more personal, original, and going straight to the heart than Belgian chocolates, a bunch of flowers or anything!
Mieke from Belgium.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you, Joe
May you have many more!!!

From Jo (without the e)

Kei said...

Happy Birthday Joe!!! I hope you have a wonderful joy filled day!

Anonymous said...

Awww! Happy birthday Joe!

Sally said...

Maybe time to get Joe a practical birthday present ? If you have them over there ... wheelchair winches or lifts, into a wheelchair adapted vehicle.

I have a rear ramp to my VW Caddy Life and seated in my electric wheelchair, I whizz up the ramp and into the chair parking space inside (seats removed). The company that did the conversion also provide for wheelchair using passengers whereby the wheelchair pusher clips seatbelt type inertia reel straps to the wheelchair frame, presses a button on the remote and hey presto ! wheelchair and user are smoothly hauled up the ramp and into position. I don't know where you would find such a vehicle over there, but there must be a solution.

Betsy said...

Happy, Happy Birthday Joe!!! You've got a whole group of admirers here.

Hope your day is fabulous!

Casdok said...

Yes Happy Birthday Joe!
Love Casdok x

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Joe!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to You! Happy Birthday to Joe! Happy Birthday to you!!!!!!!

KD

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you Joe, and many happy returns!

Lisa

theknapper said...

Happy Birthday Joe!!!
May you receive back all that you give.....you make this world a better place to be.

Susan said...

God bless your birthday, quiet one. Still waters run deep... and some run very deep.

lina said...

Happy Birthday Joe - not a day over 30 I'm sure, and how do you do all that you do - you are truly the best!
Hope you had a fabulous day!

Belinda said...

Belated Happy Birthday Joe! God bless you richly.