Sunday, October 28, 2007

To Think

I thought she was going to break into tears. She was standing in front of the display of teas in the grocery store. I'd come to see if they had a particular brand of green tea that I like but I couldn't get by her to check. For a tiny, little woman she took up a lot of space. "All I want is some tea," she said to no one.

"Can I help?" I asked.

She turned, startled. I don't think she realized she was speaking out loud. Then seeing me she simply said, "All I want is some tea, they've got so many different kinds, I just want some tea." I understood immediately how she was feeling. I'm not yet 55 but I'm already finding that the world changes too quickly, that there are too many choices, that it's work to keep up. I pointed at a box of Lipton tea on the bottom shelf, "There is a box of regular black tea for you." She glanced down and said, "No, I don't want that kind I want tea bags."

Rounding the corner came a man of about 30, with Down Syndrome saying, "Have you got the tea Grandma?" He was bustling up to her with a smile. "I can't find my tea," she said simply to him. He looked over at me and winked, I could tell this has happened before. He pointed at the same box of tea that I had pointed to and she began to protest. "They've just changed the picture Gran, it's the same tea you always have."

"Thankyou," she said relieved and picked up the tea, "You're a good boy."

"I'm a man, Grandma," he said with a smile in his voice, "you know I don't like being called a boy."

She looked at me and smiled, "And to think I cried when he was borne."

4 comments:

Belinda said...

What a wonderful reminder of the ways we support one another and the gifts we bring to one another--friends, family--the human race.

Kei said...

Nice way to start my day, reading this.

Unknown said...

ohhhhhh yes...we all cried, didn't we!

Today she's pushing my buttons, this incredibly independent, feisty, smart 7 year old daughter of mine with Down Syndrome.

She KNOWS she's suppose to be using the potty. She's busted because of the wetness discovered on the newly purchased Dora panties.

We discuss it.

Everyone...all the PT'S OT'S ST'S and family agree that problem solving is her keenest ability.

She is currently naked. You know, you can't get busted for wetting your panties, when there are no panties on to wet!

Yea i cried...but just for a little bit. Never again have I shed a tear over this 'chromosonal disorder' that was suppose to cripple my little skunk.

Not in sadness, anyway.

Melanie said...

That was a wonderful story. Brightened my day, its nice to read how people are still taking care of each other instead of everyone in their own little world.