Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Manhattan in Manhattan

This picture is very important to me. Beyond it being a picture of Joe, it is a picture of so much more. Joe and I have many traditions that we have crafted together over the years. On our very first trip to New York when we were still pups, I took him to a fancy bar and bought him a Manhattan. Drinking a Manhattan while being in Manhattan seemed like just the right thing to do. I haven't ever liked hard liquor but Joe has always enjoyed the occastional tot of the hard stuff.

Our last few trips to New York have been without that tradition. After my last big illness I was just too tired to do much of anything after we got back to the hotel. But something wonderful has been happening to me over the last few months. I've been really healthy, free of any real illness for coming on to three years now. About two months ago I began noticing a change in my health. It was subtle at first, I wasn't sure enough to even talk about it. But now it isn't subtle.

My strength is coming back. Big time, coming back. I notice it in my lecturing, where I would hold back on a story to conserve energy for the day, now I can go at it gangbusters and still be breathing at the end of the day, still have energy for more. Now here in New York, I was tired after the day, but on the way back to the hotel, I found myself resting in the cool air conditioning of the car. We turned off of Broadway to go to the hotel parking area and I noticed a bar right on the corner.

We got out of the car and I asked Joe to take the briefcase up to the room and then meet me downstairs. He was shocked but agreed. I waited on the sidewalk and watched the world, literally, go by. When he came down we meandered by some of the stalls on the street and then I turned into the bar. Joe was again shocked but agreed. I rolled up to the bar and ordered him a Manhattan.

I had a glass of water, not just a glass of water, a $8.34 glass of New York Water. I watched him drink his Manhattan and I remembered the boy he was when we first came here together. I remembered the start of the tradition. I was glad to bring back something that meant something to the two of us. I was glad it was back.

And I thank God that I too, am coming back.

13 comments:

wendy said...

Welcome back!

Wheelchair Dancer said...

that there nyc expensive water is the best in the world!!! Enjoy. Take care. 'S gonna be hot today!

WCD

Unknown said...

Dave, it's good to find your blog bag on coming home. I've had to time to read the parts I missed but I hope you've mentioned the PetitiontoCureSma which we can find on teh website Families of SMA on the date 16 july. The SMA Treatment Acceleration Act has to be passed in Congress. Because in funding this research, a cure for oher genetic diseases, among which 600 neurological disorders, and for quadriplegics will also be found. Would you sign please, for our little boy? Thank you.

Kei said...

Cheers to you both! Glad you're feeling your return Dave.

Enjoy your time there together.

Anonymous said...

Yay on feeling stronger!

Lisa

lina said...

Good news Dave! and Cheers to Joe. Nice picture by the way.

theknapper said...

Great news! WhenI saw Joe's pic I was thinking maybe he was going to write the blog today.....is he even considering a guest spot?!

Anonymous said...

Glad you and Joe are having a fun week in the big apple. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

This is my first time leaving a comment on your site though I've followed your blog on and off. I live in the Big Apple and today my son's Physical Therapist told me about a conference she was at, very inspiring. Turns out you were the speaker. And I had told her stories posted by you in the past. My son has Down Syndrome. Wish I had met you in person.

Enjoy your time in NY. I just heard on the radio how much of a rip-off bottled water is. I've never tasted the expensive water you drank today.

Good to know you are feeling stronger. Cheers to you and Joe

Esther (and Joey - 2 years old)

FAB said...

I'm so glad "you're back"...

Tell What a Man I say CHEERS! to you both.

Shan said...

Nice to see Joe - I have often thought of him in the two months since I saw you guys. I haven't talked much to him in my life but when I see him I feel like....oh, I don't know, like we have something in common.

Duh. That would be genes.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet story. It brought a tiny little tear to my eye. Love is forever.

All 4 My Gals said...

Health is precious and so is that story.