Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Elephant and Butterfly

"Did you like the pink elephant?" I asked, more excited that I probably should have been. The little voice on the other end of the phone told me that she really liked the elephant. "What about the butterfly?" Again, excitedly anticipating the answer. The butterfly, too, met with approval. We weren't able to be there for Ruby's fourth birthday party on the weekend. We had a gift there amongst the others so she would know we had thought of her. We spoke with her on the day of the party.

But her birthday actually fell on a week day. We'd gone shopping and found the perfect card, wrote four wishes for a four year old. Then we found two lovely small broaches to put inside. One an elephant with sparkly pink stones, one a butterfly with sparkling coloured stones. They were the perfect size for a child's coat or a sweater. We took great care in choosing amongst the broaches. The sales guy said, "She must be a special lady you are shopping for." We said, in unison, "She is indeed." Ruby really is a little lady and she is one that knows her own tastes.

The card was mailed and we then looked forward to talking to her about them on the phone. She told first me and then Joe that she really liked the broaches. I asked her which one she liked better. She said, 'I like them both the same.' I pressed her to pick one. Ruby has already learned to be exasperated with adults who just don't get it. "Dave, my hearts big enough to love them both. One doesn't have to be better than the other."

Oh.

I passed the phone over to Joe and he, not hearing what she had said, asked, "So which one are you going to wear first." There was a long pause. Then she said, "I'll wear them both, that way they both get to be first."

Oh.

I hope that Ruby grows to treat the feelings of people as carefully as she does the elephant and the butterfly.

10 comments:

theknapper said...

what a wise girl

Susan said...

I love that kid...

Belinda said...

Blessed kid, to be so loved, for she who is loved will learn to love well.

Andrea S. said...

I bet you were one of the people who helped teach her that one heart can be big enough to love all! You ... and Joe ... and her Mom and Dad!

Brenda said...

There's not a doubt in my mind that Ruby will grow to treat the feelings of people as carefully as she does the elephant and the butterfly. From what you've told us, her parents are doing everything right, and adding the influence of you and Joe to the mix only reinforces what she's already learing at home. She's absolutely darling, and a little lovebomb to boot. Is it possible to love a little girl I've never even met? It must be, 'cause I do. I wish more children could grow up in the "Ruby Village". What a warm, loving place to be.

rickismom said...

I am sure she will. You are so lucky that she is in your life, and vica versa.

Myrrien said...

I always wondered why my six year old would never pick one thing over another and said both are his favourite. Now I understand. When do we lose the wisdom that children have?

Shan said...

Oh...sweet post.

Molly said...

She is absolutely precious. A gem.

WendyCarole said...

What a lovely little girl