Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Notice! and Update!

Notice: This month's Direct Care Newsletter has been mailed out. If you didn't get it, it's not coming. The article is on 'getting back to normal' ... understanding how life stressors affect people ... and how diagnostic overshadowing can have us missing the obvious. So if you want to subscribe, send a brief email to dhingsburger@vitacls.org.

***
 Update: What's Happening Today

I think I've mentioned that a web based television station has asked me if I'd be willing to consider doing a show on disability issues. This isn't a political show, it's kind of like this blog come to life. Thoughts, ideas, information. I was taken aback at the interest, sent them links to see me on line - wanted them to know exactly what I looked like before they spent money sending cameras and all the rest to shoot the pilots.

Today the television crew comes in to our home and we begin filming the three short pilots (of about five minutes) that will be used to see if the station can get some sponsors for the show. The process of getting to this point has been quite painless and exceedingly well organized. I've decided to apply my rule for writing to what's going on today. Long ago I got very depressed, and felt really rejected, when something I'd written and submitted to a magazine or journal wasn't published. Those cold letters thanking me for my interest while expressing their lack of interest were so lacking in explanation as to be torturous. The letters flowing through the mail slot in the door with the 'thanks but no thanks' surrounded me with a river of rejection. I knew I was going to quit trying to write - then I switched my attitude. My job was to WRITE the article. That was it. I was successful every time I put it in an envelope and sent it off. My job was done. The acceptance or rejection was out of my hands, our of my power - so let it go. At least I got something in front of them to read. That's what a writer does, Write and submit. Publishers and editors do other things.

So today. I'm just going to do the best I can. I'm going to enjoy the experience - after all how many times will I ever have this opportunity? I'm setting the goal of getting it done and getting it out into the world. That's all I can control, so, that's all I'm worried about doing. They arrive here at 9:00 and we'll be going from there.

This may be the birth of a whole new adventure or it may be a great story to tell around the table at the pub. Either way it goes, I'm cool.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My prayer for you:

O Lord! Unto Thee I repair for refuge, and toward all Thy signs I set my heart.

O Lord! Whether traveling or at home, and in my occupation or in my work, I place my whole trust in Thee.

Grant me then Thy sufficing help so as to make me independent of all things, O Thou Who art unsurpassed in Thy mercy!

Bestow upon me my portion, O Lord, as Thou pleasest, and cause me to be satisfied with whatsoever thou hast ordained for me.

Thine is the absolute authority to command.

The Bab

Dave Hingsburger said...

Andrea, I could have used that reminder yesterday. There's been so much going on, I forgot. Damn!

Belinda said...

Wow, how very exciting. And thank you for the lesson in being grounded in what who we are and not giving away power to others to define us. That is so valuable. "Write and submit!" :)

I have complete confidence in the gifts that are entrusted to you, to communicate powerfully in written and spoken word. God is opening another door and another adventure--I am sure. But if there is a different outcome you are right--that doesn't change a thing about you. It just means you will be more exclusively available to "us"--for a little longer at least! :)

Anonymous said...

Really neat Dave! Have fun!!

thanks Andrea, I wasn't aware,

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Dave, I guess I was assuming you had seen the same notices they send out each year. I myself scrambled to put together a contribution at the last minute last night, cribbing from something I had written earlier (and then expanding upon it).

But they do usually accept late submissions, so you could still do something for tomorrow. (Or later today, for that matter.)

Andrea S.

Unknown said...

This is exciting! I want to see the program; I only hope they find a way to caption it and make it inclusive.

Barbara

Laurel said...

Dave, I love your perspective on your role in writing (and other creative endeavors). It is like a re-wording of the Serenity Prayer; put another way it is simply a very appropriate drawing of boundaries. Either way it's given me a lot to think about and I think I will be remembering and using your perspective many times in the future. Thank you!

Cynthia F. said...

Really hoping the series gets picked up and we all get to watch!

Jayne Wales said...

I think it's just brilliant and I am sure that once seen you will be a household name!