Monday, May 15, 2017

Unexpected Music

I know what I'm going to write will be cheesy, but I am throwing caution to the wind and admitting that sometimes my thoughts are sentimental and my feelings coloured with childish intensity. I'm not afraid of being trite in the minds of others if I am being honest to myself.

OK, here goes:

Joe and I had to go to a particular store in a particular mall nearby today. There was something we wanted to pick up for a gift. We arrived, rode the elevator up to the second floor and I pushed out. We headed the way the map told us to go and soon saw the store ahead of us. It was faint at first but I was sure that I was hearing violin music being played. It didn't sound like a recording, it sounded live. A few feet further ahead I was able to look through glass barriers that allowed those on the second floor to look down through open space, to the first floor.

Standing alone on a small stage was a young woman who was playing her violin with unfeigned passion. The music was stunning. Joe, the classical music buff, was able to identify everything she played, I just thought it was pretty and soothing and sometimes oddly compelling. I looked up from the music and saw people rushing around, families with kids, husbands and wives, teens out with friends. They all made their own kind of noise. It didn't take away from the music. It was like this pure sound was pushing aside the quiet din and making space for itself.

Suddenly I got teary. I thought of the woman who'd checked me into the Marriott hotel in Bridgewater, New Jersey only a few days before. The lobby had been quiet but the bar was busy and there was a lot of noise, and laughter, and one slightly hot debate. Joe stood next to me as I checked in and then suddenly another sound cut through the din, just like this music had, it was the sound of respect. The clerk spoke to me about my room, she talked to me about the services of the hotel, right there with Joe beside me, standing, at her height, and she was looking down at me, it's just that she wasn't looking down on me. Throughout her information giving chat, she glanced at Joe to include him, she was welcoming to both, but it had been a reservation in my name and my credit card was used, I was her customer.

Respect, unexpected, has a beautiful sound.

It's musical.

There on the second floor of the mall, we listened to this young woman play. It was as if the music conjured up this image in my mind to combat my experience of being 'othered' during my push to the store. People staring and pointing at me, making me feel like I was there for their amusement and to give them something to talk and laugh about. I pushed, hard, towards my destination to get out of there as quickly as possible. That stuff became just noise. That stuff just didn't matter because it wasn't, like the music was, beautiful. It was just there. It was just noise. The sound from the stage pulled me to a stop in a place where I didn't feel safe. It wrapped around me, and then, there was just the music and me and the pictures the  music made in my head.

When the clerk finished checking me in I thanked her and told her exactly what she had done that I found so refreshing, she treated me as a valued customer. Me. In my body, in my chair, I'm used to noise. Lots of noise. But her tone and her manner cut through all that and reminded me of what respect sounds like in my ear.

Unexpected.

Beautiful.

Music.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

the violinist to coax a set of notes from her instrument - the clerk treating her customer with respect and accuracy
both are actions with a pure, focused intention - and so the sounds bring clarity and ease.

what a wonderful trip to the mall it turned out to be.

clairesmum

ABEhrhardt said...

Having to fight for respect all the time somehow cheapens it, especially when it is given grudgingly.

Someone as valuable as you should not have to fight as hard as you do. So many valueless people get 'respect' (sycophancy).

Whatever training that young lady at the desk had resonated with something in her - you could tell she meant it. Too bad it is remarkable, in the sense of needing to be remarked on because it is unusual. Hope you are making it more usual.

Andrea Shettle, MSW said...

Ditto to what Alicia Butcher Ehrhardt said.